While Americans living abroad enjoy an automatic 2-month extension, which means you must file your return by June 15, any taxes due are calculated by the standard return date (April 15) i.e. interest will be charged on any taxes due but not paid by April 15.

If you are not able to file your return by June 15, you can request an additional extension to October 15 by filing IRS From 4868 (but must be filed before the automatic 2-month extension date).

About the author